Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Deep South meets Deep Freeze: Day 1

On a Sunday night, the backyard lamp light shows snow dusting in, gently, lightly covering the brown grass and the bird feeding table and the hydrangea bush.

We just had Christmas Day snow, an inch plus.  Lovely, this looks like the same...

So why is The Weather Channel getting all giddy and shouting out 
"Winter Snow Warning" and actually sending their own TV Weatherman to NorthEast Mississippi in hopes of getting live news about the Arctic White, predicting INCHES will  cover the landscape???...

  
 And Good Grief, they are right!!!  5 Inches in our tropical climate!


What's a deep south bird to do? A Cardinal at the bird feeding table is baffled...Who covered the seeds with this frozen white stuff??   NOT FUNNY.  I'm hungry.


The view out the front window is obviously a postcard from Minnesota...

Another bird feeder roof nearly cracks under the weight...


The front door opens onto the same Minnesota scene...maybe south Dakota...
Plainly we've been abducted.


So then, What to do?  What to do? 
Why bundle up, of course, and find out if this stuff is sticky enough to make a decent snowball!


Then stomp through it...


The daughter on her way down towards the road...


But Oops, she  left the pitcher back at home plate, and he's winding up...

 He throws...this man is not to be trifled with, he played SERIOUS baseball all through school...


His daughter watches as the whirling sphere approaches...
Why does she just stand there??  Why doesn't she run out of range...


No Way!!  She catches and crushes the snowball with the greatest of glee!!


Don't believe me?  HA!  I caught it all on tape... Turn up the sound...it's a Talkie Film...





More to follow...there were 3 School Snow Days from this and the ice that followed...

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, it looks so beautiful - but I'm sure it is also very cold.

    Our summer weather is completely barmy - 29C and high humidity on Tuesday, cold and wet (13C) today. Can we please have our normal, gentle Wellington summer temps back (not too hot, not too cold, just pleasant t-shirt and shorts weather).

    Sending you all cosily warm huggles, Michelle and the purrball, xxx and purrrrrrumbles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth, We got it also---but you all are not used to getting TWO big storms in one winter season. One of my sons lives in Chattanooga --and they too have gotten those two huge snows.

    We have had alot of small snows --one on top of the other --so we've had quite a few inches. BUT--we haven't had a big one YET this winter. They say we are going to get snow tonight and tomorrow. BUT--they don't ever know for sure!!!!! ha

    Great pictures and a cute video. I LOVE snow ---but I don't have to shovel the driveway... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you wusses! LOL I'm just teasing you, I can well imagine how rare it is in your part of the world to have so much snow!! Hasn't it been just crazy with the snowfalls where it doesn't usually snow and frigid temperatures? We're finally getting some relief from the deep freeze, today it went up to 25F compared to the -32F we had been getting!!!

    Loved watching the video and hearing your commentary:-) Your daughter really did a great catch there! She throws like I do, though! LOL Oh well, if you're going to have snow, you may as well have fun with it, right? :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, it looks like you have been abducted to some northern town. You did not sign up for this...right? But who and where do you send the complaints? I have not a clue.
    BUt I do hope that it is almost over...spring will be around the corner in no time.
    Glad you left me a note, you are a silly one. And I love silly people!
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGoodness...well, let me say this: I'm glad the snow was where you were instead of where I am. Living in Colorado for over 40 years with snows that lasted for months on the ground...I don't want to see that white stuff outside my window again.

    But I enjoyed the photos...looks like y'all had fun.

    And the cardinal in the snow is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is FANTASTIC! It does look like it could be Minnisota or some other place known for HUGE Snowstorms. I feel sorry for the poor Birds....Well, maybe Spring is not TOO far behind...lol!

    ReplyDelete