Now, welcome to The Tallahatchee River Fest in New Albany, an annual street fair with continuous live music on a sound stage in front of the courthouse. Seating is on the courthouse lawn, so if you don't want grass stains, bring your own chair. Up and down main street are hundreds of food, and "you-can't-live-without-this-so-buy-it-NOW" vendors!
The Tallahatchee River runs right through the center of our town, so this is a big event. The weather turned out great... though Saturday morning began with clouds and showers! The talent is very good, with local bands during the day and the headliner, but not until 9:00 Saturday night, was Marty Stuart. Ha-Ha, too late for us and not Amanda's cup of musical tea...but we did hear several really fun bands during the afternoon, ate some fair-type food (I'm not talking Weight Watchers here!), and meandered along the many vendor tents.
We bought not a single inedible thing!!
Very busy around the Courthouse...you can see the top of the stage awning above the white tents on the right.
Along the food vendor street, and there are Amanda and Dad looking for the right one...
Ummmmm, could it be this one?? Wait a sec, check out that sign in the lower left, next to the Polish sausage...now you know you're in the South!
But no, we skipped the alligator-on-a-stick (surprise!!) and here's the chosen one, a funnel cake big as a a dinner plate!! Tons of powdered sugar and a heavenly aroma. Can you believe that I have NEVER had one? All those years of going to the County Fair, and never a sample, so look out if I'm going to share?!!
We found a spot under the awning with a good view and sound of the band stage. Oh, and lemonade to wash down that Funnel Cake...Okay, I did share with the family!
A good time was had by all, even the inter-planetary visitors!
Remember to laugh whenever possible!
Oh, and P.S. We've got a really lovely courthouse, and I couldn't resist taking pics of it against the cloudy sky. It was shocking to see that the clocks (there are 4 around the dome) were on the right time!! They generally never are, but I expect the City Council wanted us to look our smartest this weekend!
P.P.S. If you go back up and look at the Riverfest flag, maybe you can tell what it is representing. I'm thinking a fearful fish riding along a river wave?!!

Hi Elizabeth, The Tallahatchee Riverfest sounds like a marvelous festival... I would love that Funnel Cake... Yum!!!!!! But--why didn't you try that alligator on a stick?????? ha ha
ReplyDeleteLove the Candy Corn Cookie Cake .... How cute!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
I so love festivals like this!! I'm glad you passed on the "alligator on a stick" and went for the funnel cake instead! LOL I had my first funnel cake about 9 years ago when I was in Atlantic City...my friend Carole and I drove there (took us 18 hours!) and on the boardwalk we had funnel cake. Omigosh I was in heaven eating that! hehe You should have seen us, though, we were walking on the boardwalk, eating as we were walking and the wind suddenly came up and we were plastered with icing sugar! lol Loved seeing all of your pictures and your courthouse is certainly gorgeous. xoxo
ReplyDelete