Friday, January 8, 2010

Snow Days in Mississippi?!!

I know that some of you will look at our "snowfall" and think "HA!! They don't know what snow really is!" but back in the desert it did snow once in awhile (blue moons and all that)...and apparently the same is true in Mississippi. Everyone sure gets excited about it, so that means it's an EVENT! Schools close, some businesses close, and the Weather Forecasters become megastars (and they're forgiven, for the moment, all the errors of the past).

As a result of this snowfall, the big Bloomin' Pear Tree in the backyard quietly turns white:



It does this by having grown, years past, in the way of the snow reaching the ground (clever tree):


But, What do you do when it's a Snow Day from school?
Dad and Daughter dress for a trek to the backwoods of Hilltop:


They struggle through the snowdrifts, inching their way towards the dense woodland (oh gosh, was that a wolf howling??):




Boot by ice-laden boot they trudge on into the thicket, vanishing from sight.
And return later with stories of huge deer prints along a broken trail, and dead, mangled Kudzu lying all over the ground. **shiver**


Happily there's another thing to do with all that white stuff:



Work with your dad to assemble a Midget Snowman!!




Now ain't he a cute, cuddly looking little thing, but they don't like to be hugged since it messes, poorly, with their exoskeletral structure...
OK, they melt...(Hey, in case you think I was not involved in this adventure, I supplied the itty-bitty carrot.)



So long for now from snow covered Hilltop!!
P.S. Mom and Gil are doing fine and compare this to West Virginia Winter as a bad day in a refridgerator.
xoxo
P.P.S. And what else can you do with snow??? (The action happens a bit far away because, well, I am recording from inside the house...but you can get the idea!)

Did ya notice the snow falling down the page? How cool is that!! I played techno-blogger and found a way to show it. Not hard to do, but the effect is fun, fun!

2 comments:

  1. Oh these poor people having to trudge in that deep snow! hehe I know it's not usual to have snow up your way so I can certainly understand what a big thing it is when it does! I giggled so much when I saw the snowman, he's adorable in his tinyness...is that a word? lol Loved hearing you talk on the video:-) It's 28F over here right now and we're finding that "balmy" after the below zero temps we'd been getting. We have a couple of feet of snow on the ground but that's nothing compared to what we usually have by now. I'm not complaining though, the less snow there is, the faster it will melt come Spring! hehe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    I very seldom reach out to other bloggers. I saw your name on our dear friend Pea's blog.
    I so enjoyed looking at your snow photos. Looks like your husband and daughter made the most of the white stuff.
    Love their creative snowman.
    Take care,
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete